Thursday

12.7.2006...A Day for the Arts in Delhi


A
fter staying up till the wee hours of the morning putting together four days worth of posting, I figured it would be better to give a little each day.

Today we had one main aim and that was the National Museum of Modern Art.

Naturally we stopped at other sights along the way such as the India Gate...



The Indian Secretariat buildings...



And the President's house, also known as Rashtrapati Bhavan....



This was just one of several cool pillars topped by tough tuskers keeping watch!



How come the White House doesn't have statues of fierce Eagles surrounding the property? Oh right eagle vs. elephant, the imbalance in 'coolness' is quite clear now.

~~~

After losing our way over the 1km between where we were and where we were going, we landed up at the National Museum of Modern Art. Out front a number of sculptures were on display.

This one was of particular interest because I was left wondering whether the artist had formed the block of marble or found it like this and decided that the head and feet were needed.




Inside the museum there was an exhibition called "Edge of Desire: Recent Art in India."

Most of the pieces in this exhibition addressed the issues of violent religious tensions and India's courtship between tradition and modernity. Here are some examples:






Nilima Sheikh and Subhash Singh Vyam



Coca Cola cap sari.

Another artist who I enjoyed immensely was Amrita Sher-Gil. She met with an unnaturally early death, but managed to produce some very fine art before then.


I have to admit that I am often hard pressed to understand the motivations of modern artists. Many of the exhibitions that I've seen in the U.S. and Europe leave my mind reeling with one question: why?

This exhibition, however, was crystal clear to me. The themes the artists were addressing were big ones. Life and death and the definition of progress. Ones that are informed by large scale social experiences which are then condensed down into the vantage point of the artist. While these were personal expressions, I didn't feel I was missing out on some big secret.

Many modern Western artists often seem to be revealing an insight to a very personal struggle with a larger social creature. This raw exposure is contextually difficult for me to sometimes a) fathom or b) care about. Today I realized it was largely do to the 'fact' that the struggles often depicted aren't mortal ones. Rather, they are often so specific or abstract and can only really speak to a small number of people who feel they have shared the same abstract experience. This isn't to say that their turmoils are of any less intrinsic value to them, after all suffering is suffering. However, it is to say that they are so niched that they often miss the mark of conveying their message.

I can say that I do credit Western artists for trail blazing the endeavor of developing art styles that allowed for a more overt personal expression. From impressionism to cubism to modern and contemporary art commentaries, the Western artist did contribute significantly to the 'art world' as a whole.

~~~~

On the return leg of the outing we passed by a mandir village, of sorts. It was filled with dozens of temples and shrines to all sorts of Hindu gods.



This hanuman was at least 50ft tall if not more...



~~~

Once back at the Club we met up with Surnish and Papa. First tea and then dinner followed. Upon returning to our room, Surnish and I found that our laundry had been returned.

Now, you know this must be good if I'm talking laundry.

Two bags and a pile of plastic-ed and pressed clothes awaited us.



Each and every item had been sealed in a plastic bag. Most had tissue neatly placed between the folds. The work shirts were given cardboard collar supports. It was THE MOST decadent and thorough laundry service I have ever been privileged too.

The only thing was I was concerned about their claim...



Perhaps the process was eco-friendly but what about all the plastic?

~~~

And finally I had to add a picture of Surnish. He was enjoying some coffee as he was continuing to cope with working nights. I think he's doing a bang up job and looks pretty good to boot!



All the best to you all as this day draws to a close.

Peace,

A Pink American

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jarucia & Surnish - I've spent all morning reading your blog from the beginning - I'm supposed to be working, but ... Next I have to go meet the last class meeting for my class - final is next week, but no final to be given.

Jarucia - I'm really sorry I have not had the opportunity to get to know you better. You are indeed a remarkable woman and human. Grandma Donna would be exceedingly proud of you.

I hope maybe I can get the opportunity to visit India - having read your blog so far has churned up my juices and then I remember the tales that my uncle Hollis told of his adventures in India during WW-II.

One of the men I work with - AK Khera - is Indian and has also read over your blog - he just got back ffrom a 1-month trip to visit family in India - He may be in touch with you by email about a book about India he would like to write.

Go to go now.

Love,
Fenton