Thursday

12.7.2006...1-2-3 Delhi Days

Well it is only technically the 7th as it is only just a bit past midnight as I start this.

We have been three days in Delhi and busy busy busy...

Let's begin.

Monday 12-4 Getting Acquainted:

I feel as if this day was all about being one with the traffic of Delhi. It was outrageous. Having sat in traffic in Mumbai and Kolkata as well, I can't say any are truly better than each of the others. Of course everyone here seems to have an opinion...Kolkata gets knocked on the most. It didn't feel like there was more gridlock, but the pollution from the vehicles seemed worse.



I will say that Delhi does get props for having proper freeway interchanges in some places. I haven't seen more than a basic flyover with street exits in any other city.



Enough about the traffic already.

We casually spent the day exploring a couple of places.

First stop was the Bangla Sahib Gurdwara. It was the loveliest Gurdwara I've seen yet...although I feel bad for it in that I will being seeing Amritsar soon and I don't know that any other Gurdwara can match that.





Afterwards we partook in some shop-sight seeing. After looking in EVERY state emporium I realized I was DONE with shopping for handicrafts. Each emporium did have locally represented items, but most also had items from many of the other states as well.



The best thing I saw was this...a YAK wool shawl. It was rough to the touch, but very smooth when my hand ran down it.



We also drove in the area of the capitol buildings.



Much of the rest was a blur to me as I was tired and was having too much info (is that possible?) fed to me.

Tuesday 12-5: Passing the Minutes Until Surnish

Well maybe I wasn't feeling quite that desperate, but I was really excited to see Surnish after 2 months.

In the meantime we began the day a with a visit to the Red Fort, aka Delhi Fort.



Not only is this a marvelously massive structure from the front, but the interior grounds are filled with many smaller daily and religious use buildings.

Here we have the hall for complaints and concerns...the ruler used to sit on the white platform in the background.



And here we have a Texan family visiting India. I really dug the cowboy hat. It totally says "don't mess with Texas!"



This was part of a rather long seating area that used to overlook the Yumana river. That is until the river receded out of view. Most of these panels used to be inlaid with precious and semi-precious stones. Thanks to the British, they were ripped off and now sit in museums and their store rooms in the UK.
Most of the colors you can see are from glass replacements.



This is where you would have seen the river if it were still close by.


The architecture of the Mugahl rulers of India is really quite phenomenal. I cannot forget the fact that they defiled so much of the older Hindu art and architecture though, as is often the case with invaders.

It is a real shame that peoples in the past couldn't see the beauty in all art and then simply proliferate their own when they ruled instead of destroying so much. In fact it is a shame that this still happens today.

For all of the day's pics check out the ALBUM.

The rest of the day passed with eating lunch and shopping at Connaught Place, before heading to visit a cousin of mummy's.

From there we went to the airport and picked up Surnish.

His flight was a little late, but when we saw him it was the best feeling.

I have to say, I don't think that I'd stay away from my husband this long ever again, BUT in doing so the level of appreciation I have for his mere presence around me has grown by at least 100 times over.

Even though he is 'around' you won't be seeing him in day pics for the next few days as he is working nights here until Friday.

Wednesday 12-6: Day 3 Delhi

Today we headed to the Qutb Minar, at the Qutb Minar complex.



Hands down this is one of the coolest structures I have seen in the world. It really is so amazing in color, shape and artistic elements.

Many of the other structures of the complex were equally awe inspiring.






It is really best to look at the full ALBUM from the day and read about the site in order to appreciate it.

After the Qutb Minar, we headed to Haus Kauz village. I was told that control of development of this area was given by Indira Gandhi to her primary clothing designer. It was meant to be a place for cottage industry craftspeople to converge and work on their craft. However, it has become quite a tourist draw today and doesn't necessarily resemble the idea of a crafting cooperative.

On the outer perimeter of the village are very old structures that were part of the original settlement, likely. They curve around a modest lake which was then used for bathing, as I was told.



I didn't think it would be possible, but as we got into the car I confirmed my previous realization of being done with handicrafts. I love Indian wares...LOVE THEM. But they are so pervasive in every tourist stop and the variety is almost identical from one place to the next...well I've simply lost the drive.

It isn't sad as you might think, and I will somehow manage to enjoy my last month here despite this epiphany.

Our final stop was the Bahia Temple. This building is in the shape of a giant lotus. Inside it is nearly all white marble with a 9-point geometric structural design that repeats itself from the smallest star in the ceiling to the largest exterior lotus petals.

The acoustics are so perfect from the design and marble used, that you feel as if a whisper of thought to god could be conducted straight up to heaven. It really was a lovely place.




Final thoughts for the day...I need to sleep. But seriously, I'm really enjoying Delhi. It makes me think of how so many people go to New York and think that's America. I've seen so many Westerners here and they will likely not see a fraction of the rest of India that I've seen. It really gives me pause in appreciation for being able to sample India as a main course rather than as an appetizer.

Until I post again...

Peace,

A Pink American

No comments: