Sunday

10.22.2006...A Quick Evening Visit to Akshardham



As you recall no cameras are allowed at Akshardham so let me try my best to explain the sight I saw.

To begin, we read in the paper this morning that Akshardham had been decorated with 15,000 oil lamps. The picture was black and white and a decent size so one could make out the shine of the lamps.

Papa asked me if I would like to go this evening and I eagerly agreed.

We set out just after 6pm when dusk is just starting to settle in and is then quickly followed by the dark blue of early night. This near darkness lingers for about and hour. This was the backdrop for the light show.

We walked in from the side of the temple grounds and were greeted by the most magnificent view. This awesome architectural structure was surround on all sides by trees of oil filled colored glass lamps lining the upper walkways and stairs leading up to the temple.

Blue, green, red and orange shown down from the oil wicks resting on top of each of these glass holders. It was more beautiful than any holiday/festival decoration I've ever seen.

The guide told us it only take 15 minutes to light all of these lamps as devotees assist in the lighting.

For someone who is so prone to individual acts of spiritual devotion, as I am, to know that dozens or hundreds of people work in unison for this one simple and faithful act is astounding.

I can somewhat liken it to hearing a whole Church say the Lord's pray, but only as a song, not as the droll drum that sometimes occurs.

As I said, no cameras allowed, so I found these snap online and they fairly depict what I saw, even if in miniature.






Peace,

A Pink American

No comments: