Thursday

10.12.2006...Out and About

Today was fairly mellow in that time was passed playing cards and practicing Hindi.

This evening we took a trip to a regional crafts exhibition where there were lovely items from all over Gujarat (the state I'm in).

While I apologize for no pics for this post, let me entertain you with some lines I penned while we supped:

8:35pm and change. Dining tonight at he Bay Leaf restaurant which is located in the Ahmedabad Gymkhana.
I placed a simple order for tomato soup (creamed) and butter toast. I also had a taste for paneer tikka. Otherwise it seems shameful not take at least some small Indian dish at each meal.
While waiting for my food, I thought back to when we first entered the restaurant. The level of self consciousness was unreal. Must look your best! Always the only "white" person around these days. A week has past and I think that I caught a glance of a blonde haired man on the back of a motorbike, but I can't be certain.

"Gujaratis are so loud. They just want to hear themselves talk." I am told. That's funny; maybe I was Gujarati in my past life.

The table across from me has two Persian looking business men. They speak mostly to themselves, it seems, even though they are with an Indian host. Their table is littered with empty and half full bottles of Coke, Sprite and soda water for making fresh lime soda. They're deliciously refreshing drinks and I myself was working on my second one.

Next to me I catch sight of cabbage strands dangling and wiggling from the corners of the mouth belonging to an older woman. This movement is starkly contrasted in comparison to her stiff cotton sari, which refused to relax at her neck and shoulders.

And that, my friends, is that.

Tomorrow morning we leave early for a hill station at Mt. Abu. I'm sure to have some nice pics and postings when we return Saturday evening.

Until then....

Peace,

A Pink American

3 comments:

Surnish Nirula said...

Now that brings back memories. A'bad gymkhana is where we used to go swimming & play badminton & rent videos as a kid. Didn't we go there last time we were in India?

Surnish Nirula said...

blonde guy on the back of a bike?? you probably saw some Indian girl who's bleached / dyed her hair ;-)

Anonymous said...

I feel like I am in India. This journey is making me want to go there...